Knowledgebase: Payment Gateways
Paypal Pro Payments
Posted by Steve Naqvi on 25 October 2008 02:45 AM
To use the PayPal Payments Pro Gateway, you will need an Payments Pro Gateway through PayPal.com. Once logged into PayPal.com you will see an option to set up a PayPal Payments Pro Gateway. |
PayPal's Payments Pro gateway differs from the traditional PayPal.com gateway in every transaction is completed on your website. So the customer doesn't have to be directed to Paypal.com to complete the transaction.
First you will need to apply for a Website Payments Pro account.
1. Return to your Business Account Overview page and click the Merchant Tools tab
2. Under Website Payments Pro, click Learn More
3. Under Getting Started, click Submit application
4. Complete the application form and click Continue.
5. On the Application Approved page, click Getting started with PayPal
6. Follow the link to accept the billing agreement.
7. You are taken to a page for API Setup.
Next you will need to generate an API Certificate through PayPal.com to up be uploaded to the cart. This certificate is used by PayPal.com to identify your cart.
Follow these steps to generate your API Certificate:
1. Log in to your PayPal Premier or Business account.
2. Click the Profile subtab located in the top navigation area.
3. Click the API Access link under the Account Information header.
4. Click the Get Started link in the Request API Credentials heading.
5. Complete the API Credential Request form by clicking the agreement checkbox and then click Submit.
6. Write down the values for API Username and Password.
7. Click the Download Certificate button. You are prompted to download a file called cert_key_pem.txt. This file is your live API Certificate. Rename this file to something more familiar, such as paypal_live_cert.pem. This helps you differentiate your Sandbox certificate from your live certificate. It is not necessary to keep the .txt file extension. Be sure to remember where you save the file.
Once you have the certificate downloaded to your computer, you will need to upload it to the cart. To complete this process, simply login to the admin area of your cart and active the PayPal Pro Gateway. You will notice a default certificate is already installed within your cart. you will need to replace this certificate with the one you received from PayPal.com. Simply click on the "Browse" button, find the certificate on your computer and upload it to the server.